"I don't like to discuss Works in Progress. If I let the words tumble out prematurely, it changes it, and I may never get it back."
--Barton Fink

Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Path to Glory...?

I live in a blissful ignorance sometimes. My two spec script drafts are as finished as I can get them, at least for right now. I'm pretty happy with both, despite the Venture Bros. script being 40 pages long. This might actually do, as industry "standard" for comedy scripts is 35 (according to Nick, anyway). Besides, it's not about the length so much as it is about character, voice and emulation of the series. I think that I should rest on the fact that I've finished two drafts in two months, and that I will have these read by someone in the future who can comment on them with a critical eye. I can always fiddle around with them and sharpen them as long as the series is still active.

So, with that said, I must move on with MechaWest development. Reading "Wishcraft" has opened some things up for me. Barbara Sher shares much with Jack Canfield on the idea of charting your path. An early exercise gave me the very obvious idea of contacting local animation companies to get some insight on how the industry works from their vantage point. Most of the work lies in commercials and industrials, but one company in particular (with offices in Minneapolis and L.A.) stated that they've had three shows optioned. Whether these were through partnerships or in-house staff I'm not sure, thus the clarity I lack on this matter.

I called and spoke to a laid-back guy at the company, saying that I sent an email earlier in the week and that I was following up. I was actually nervous about calling, and I'm still unclear as to why. I explained myself with as coherrant a manner as I could muster, and the guy said he would look for my email, take my info and give it to someone so that I could have a conversation about the industry. It probably helped that earlier in the day I made about 50 calls to elementary schools for NTC, booking free shows for the fall- I needed to be clear and "sell" myself through this inexplicable nervousness I felt. "No worries, man" the guy explained as we were ending our conversation. There might be possibilities with these artist hipsters after all.

A practice run at a show-pitch is what I may aim for. You know, for when I do the real thing.

No comments: