"I don't like to discuss Works in Progress. If I let the words tumble out prematurely, it changes it, and I may never get it back."
--Barton Fink

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Back in the Saddle

It's been awhile, but I've decided to start blogging again. I'm planning on redesigning my blogspot site and making it all very different. Glad that when I first deleted it Google saved it "just in case".

Looking at what lights me up lately, it sure ain't theatre. When asked about it, I've had to say on more than one occasion that I have a "love/hate relationship with theatre". Well, now we're separated and trying to live without one another. Plus I'm seeing someone else for the time being- the muse named "writing".

I haven't felt this fulfilled creatively in a long time. Amy pushed me to finish my first spec script to submit to the ABC Writing Program. I wasn't sure that I'd finish with a decent piece to mail to them, but with Amy's eye and great questions I redrafted and came up with a (I feel) competent 61 page spec script of "Dexter". I plan to go back, tweak it and get clarity on some elements in it's design, but overall I'm happy with where it's at in this stage of it's evolution.

Next up, a comedy script. Although I think "Dexter" is at heart a "dark comedy", I think I need something more blantantly comedic. I have a rough outline of something I've been marinating for awhile, so that will be spec script number two. More later on that one.

No comments: