"I don't like to discuss Works in Progress. If I let the words tumble out prematurely, it changes it, and I may never get it back."
--Barton Fink

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

homework

I listened in on a Jack Canfield conference call today (of "Chicken Soup for the Soul" fame). Every first Wednesday of the month, Jack answers pre-submitted questions at lunchtime, often referring listeners to his "Success Principles" book (which I own). Lots of food for thought- often overwhelming- perhaps intentionally.

Jack also gives a homework assignment to try for the coming month. This time he said to try and form or break a habit by doing it everyday for 30 days. Just one habit, like not drinking soda or biting your fingernails for 30 days. Or, perhaps playing guitar for 15 minutes a day or jogging, everyday for 30 days.

I'm going to try writing. Anything. Whatever I feel like- whether it's the screenplay, or a lost "Among the Oats" episode, or perhaps blogging like I am now. Everyday, to form a new habit or discipline.

I'm game. I enjoy it enough to try it. I'll let you know how it goes. Whoever you are.

No comments: