"I don't like to discuss Works in Progress. If I let the words tumble out prematurely, it changes it, and I may never get it back."
--Barton Fink

Monday, February 2, 2009

Gloom, Despair and Agony on Me...

I don't know why I have this damn blog. It's not like anyone reads it, or that I have something to say, really. But, on the off chance...

Happy New Year! One month late!

January was quite depressing, but I am still alive and well. I got some perspective and I feel I have a bit of a direction.

Despite our pissy economy, I am encouraged to seek out steady employment in one way, shape or form. I am facing the idea that I want to teach theatre- classes or something like that. I have been resisting it for some time, as it didn't seem feasible, or that I would be giving up on a non-existent theatre career. I thought that if anyone would be able to take things little by little, it would be me. Turns out that's not the case.

I had dabbled with the idea of pursuing my own puppet theatre to tour to local grade schools. I got some good ideas for stories to convert into short stage works, but my inquiries to Young Audiences of MN, as well as most of the local puppeteers went unanswered. I became daunted by the prospect of learning how to construct puppets in my garage all by myself. I trust myself to do the tasks, but this whole solo effort stuff is really for the birds. I need true collaboration. Never say never, but it just isn't feasible right now.

Then I turned to the idea of teaching. I've been reading several career-oriented books (eg. What Color is Your Parachute?) and it's been pretty insightful. I should be teaching kids. Theatre to kids. I guess, like I stated above, I was afraid to put that label on myself, and I never trusted myself to be a good, effective teacher. And I didn't have enough experience (see "Running Your Own Puppet Company"). So many excuses.

So, Jared-personality type ESFP needs multi-tasking, interaction and non-repetetive tasks. Which is what I have been doing for quite a while now. And it's killing me. I need to change it up, responsibly, figure out what exactly it is, and follow my bliss. No dictation needed.

Oh, and I'm training for a marathon. Running 5 days a week on my regimine. I haven't been doing it religiously, but the brutal cold and recent sickness took me out for a few days the last few weeks. Feels good to have a focus.

Food for thought.

1 comment:

Erika said...

Hi Jared,

I read your blog as much as I can. I wish there was a way to subscribe to it so I'd know when you post new stuff. Sometimes I forget to check it for a month or too. Mom reads it regularly too, and it's a nice way to check on what you have going on. Keep blogging!

Love,
Sis