"I don't like to discuss Works in Progress. If I let the words tumble out prematurely, it changes it, and I may never get it back."
--Barton Fink

Monday, August 18, 2008

breathe in the air

It's been over a week since Fringe ended, and I have to say that the exhilaration I thought I'd feel from the entire experience is/was non-existent. Not to say that I didn't see good shows or have good experiences, but I never fully felt a part of the whole thing. The overall attendance to my show was embarrassing and I'll be lucky to break even. There was a weird yet understandable disparity in box office from Rarig venues to others. I guess if I wanted to Fringe (and Fringe economically), I'd go to the place that had 4 shows in one setting at any given time. No driving and parking all over town. Hard lesson learned.

I'm not a big name, or all that popular on the scene, but I put my eggs in the basket of "People will see my show based on the absurd premise". Some did. Most didn't. Second verse, same as the first. But I guess I'm glad to have attracted those that did find it and discovered exactly what I was up to at Intermedia Arts. This show was for you.

I guess I felt a bit frustrated, and still do to an extent, but I'm relieved that it's done and over with. The oats are vacuumed out from my car, the sock puppet's eyes are back in the sewing kit and the dreaded Oatwheel is in the dumpster. Amy is relieved that I can get back to the real world and concentrate on house-hunting and watch the second season of "Dexter" without worry. Officially out of the system. Moving on...

No comments: