"I don't like to discuss Works in Progress. If I let the words tumble out prematurely, it changes it, and I may never get it back."
--Barton Fink

Friday, June 1, 2007

ill-spent energy...

Is it just me, or do most high-profile theatre "artists" in the Twin Cities feel an unhealthy sense of entitlement? You know, the ones who keep getting in the papers, or have the interviews and what-not? I dunno, some of the best, and some of the WORST, actors I have observed are right here in our little island community.



There just seems to be alot of "talk" and little done that enhances our community. It's just unfortunate that what gets the most attention is a David Mamet play and not a fresh new movement piece.



Yes, a sense of false elitism does exist here, and it's old news. But thinking about it occasionally bugs me, when I observe directors looking more for a box office draw than a true ensemble. But really, I don't blame them: I'd want to work with people I know and trust. TRUST is HUGE.



I auditioned for someone with their own theatre group, and while it was nice to see them for the first time in a few years, the promise of "you'll hear from me either way" truly rang hollow. Of course I didn't hear jack-shit. What bugs me even more is that I found that of the handful of actors they were looking for, they only cast one from the initial audition. I mean, there were quite a few eager actors on that audition list. I can't believe they couldn't find what they were looking for from that list. Would I feel the same if I was the one out of, say, 50 actors cast? Probably not, but knowing what I know now it ticks me off. Just another contribution to the false elitism.



And, since it is a "false sense", it doesn't define me or my acting career. I just need to be more aware of with who, what and where I work and play. Lesson learned. And now a little more peace for my soul... :)




No comments: