"I don't like to discuss Works in Progress. If I let the words tumble out prematurely, it changes it, and I may never get it back."
--Barton Fink

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Efficiency

Man, I've had some boring temp jobs before, but this is one of the most de-active" I've had in a while. It's almost cliche to say it should be expected; working for local government, that is. For a reception job, it's LOW-KEY (with business casual!). The last one like this was unbearable, and I walked out- some bullshit HR gig where I was given NOTHING to do. At least the people here are cool, and acknowledge somewhat that it can be dragging at times. Got a cool view of the river though (right next to the fax-machine).

I have caught up on some reading, though. Bill loaned me "True and False" by David Mamet, which was a very good read. I like it when books are informative, and still give you the sense of "Hey, I knew that (or felt that) too!". He talks about the Great Actor- the one who's in it for the glory, and we pretty much hand it over to him. The Great Actor also doesn't take risks or present anything really new, and pretty much relies on "looking good". There's still alot of that in this town, but it's refreshing to see that the tables turn every once in a while where a small group of folks do something unique and get lauded. Not even necessarily perfect, but unique.

So, even in my small way, I trudge on. I mean, we all want attention and acknowledgement for our work, and there's nothing wrong with that. But it's really not about US. If it were, the director wouldn't be harping on our volume and diction, dig?

No comments: