"I don't like to discuss Works in Progress. If I let the words tumble out prematurely, it changes it, and I may never get it back."
--Barton Fink

Sunday, June 14, 2009

one more before the big 'un

Beautiful weekend. I spent it yesterday doing a 5 mile run along the river trail near the old Lilydale Club. Lots of people biking along there; Amy thought that there might be an event to go along with it. One thing I don't get is people talking on their cell phones riding at a breakneck pace having a casual conversation. Jesus, can you put the damn thing away for a 45 minute ride? I don't get it. Once the bike is rigged up to explode by a mad terrorist and you can't stop riding below 20 miles an hour, THEN you can get on that cellphone...


I need to get some new padded soles for my running shoes today; I'll break them in this afternoon on my 4 mile run. Then that's it until Saturday. Just "recoup" this week. So far, the schedule hasn't failed me- I've been able to top out on my 22.5 mile run around the area a few Saturdays ago. That was hard, hilly and hot out. I am assured in that the Grandma's Marathon route is relatively flat up until near the end. Still, I am inexplicably nervous about it. Logically, I know I'll be fine, but not having a heavy-duty run in the last few weeks makes me feel ill-prepared. I'll put my trust in the schedule.


In other non-running events, there's not much to tell. My acting has fallen by the wayside. My screenplay, however, has been materializing at a steady pace. Now I am stuck on missing chracter and plot elements specific to the two main female characters and what their journey will be. I'll be more tenacious about it after the race.


Out garden has really been sprouting up, made mostly of perenials, we added cedar mulch yesterday. This gives the garden area a great smell, not that I can tell. Looks good though. And we have a special friend to watch over it...


2 comments:

FringeFamous.com said...

Gnome Slave Owner,

We deplore your treatment of gentle woodland creatures, and your total disregard for the basic principles of liberty.

Your moral bankruptcy is evidenced by your acts of wanton recklessness and the deliberate use of coercive force and terror tactics against gentle and innocent creatures.

It has come to our attention that a Gnome is being held captive in your garden. We do not, as a rule, negotiate with terrorists, however, we request that he be released immediately. Already your actions have prompted copycat offenses, which we have witnessed, including the deplorable use of a Gnome as a hood ornament.

We understand that you probably were not responsible for the innocent Gnome’s original capture but rather purchased him from a Gnome slave trafficker like a garden center or craft show. Please understand that we are not holding you responsible for the state of Gnome slavery in America.

We are, however, asking you to put an end to your involvement. Do the responsible thing; free your Gnome today.

FreetheGnomes.com has specially trained caseworkers who will gladly work with you toward the goal of returning your Gnome to the northern woodlands from where he came.

Although American law currently permits you to keep a Gnome in slavery, we believe it to be morally reprehensible. We hope that upon honest reflection, you will agree.

Stop Oppressive Gardening. Free the Gnomes.

Thank you,

FringeFamous.com

Unknown said...

To Whom it May Concern:

I normally would not even bat an eye or dignify such comments with a response, but I feel compelled to do so since I have been attacked on my own blog, which I often consider my inner sanctum. However, I refuse to do so WITH ALL CAPS ON LIKE THIS! ARE YOU FRIGHTENED OF MY POWER AND MIGHT?! Good. And now that I have your attention, I will commence with my defense.

For years, I have taken care of, acted as a foster parent and been a legitimate ward to many, many gnomes. Not just the men, but the women. And the children. These gnomes came from devastated lands and saw the most gruesome torture and depravity that no gnome that resembles a Hummel figurine could and should endure.

That is why my wife and I set up the Christian Gnomish Fund (www.christiangnomes.org or www.learnaboutgnomes.edu), despite the fact that we are not Christian, nor the fact that there isn't much of a fund to begin with. We carry on. Onward Gnomish Soldiers!

With our limited resources and support, we have established the United Gnomish College Fund, designed to send Gnomes to the college of their choice (so far, it's only been mining and light carpentry; we continue to aim high). We also have support programs for Gnomes and their caregivers, and much needed resources to fend off the baseless attacks by ill-informed radical groups. Yes, radical groups such FringeFamous. Was it not you that placed a penis on the nose of Michael Brindisi, one of the premiere Gnomes in American Theatre? And in public, too. Should this be considered art? Is that your defense? I know first-hand the devastation that stunt had on innocent Gnomes locally and nationwide. The nightmares lasted for weeks, and continue to this day. Shame on you, FringeFamous. Shame on you.

I do not go out and seek any Gnomes to stay with me, they instead come and seek me. I offer them a home, an alternative to the war-torn devestation of their homeland. They seek refuge, a place to worship and a place to build their whozits and their whatzits. All I ask is a small donation to the Fund, with which they have no problem doing. Listen to these testimonials:

"Ay, Jared be da one true friend uv da Wee Wuns!"

"I be likin' da classes un da services pervided by da Great Un! (Jared)"

There. Enough said. I hope that you are satisfied with our explanations and testimonies. If not, please go find another minority group to hassle with your unfounded lies and greatly exagerated concerns. Your advocacy must mask a much darker purpose- I can only venture a guess as to what that might be. I can still hear the Gnomish children screaming in the middle of the night in their feeding pens... "Poor Brindisi...poor Brindisi..."

Thank you,

Jared Reise
President and CEO
The United Gnomish College Fund