"I don't like to discuss Works in Progress. If I let the words tumble out prematurely, it changes it, and I may never get it back."
--Barton Fink

Sunday, February 10, 2008

I've always been one who thought he needed a plan. To accomplish certain things before I could move on to the next phase. Finish college, get a day job, theatre at night, etc.

But lately I've been thinking about a few of my friends that took the alternative route into a responsible family and career. Stuff I've really admired without ever expressing it to them.

One friend started from the bottom rung for Holiday Station stores, after a failed attempt at a semester and a half at college, and worked is way to being a store auditor. He gets to work with numbers and software to make the stores run more efficiently. No degree, no special training- just using skills that he was always good at utilizing.

Another friend, who is several years younger than me, came to my college, did a few years there, got several lead roles, then left to train with Commedia del Arte in California. He toured with circus groups, taught grad school students physical theatre and has a family.

These friends had a drive that hasn't existed in me for the most-part. They made things happen based on what they knew they wanted, and the universe opened up. I like that. I long for a continued clarity and direction fory life and clear.

Heh. Don't we all.

Then again, having all the answers would be exceedingly boring...

No comments: